Welcome To Fanfic!
Hey, ever have a show that you LOVED the first season, and then it just kinda went off the rails? They added characters, killed off your favorites, changed so much that it’s not the same show, or even cancelled it entirely? How about read a book, watched a movie, or finally made it to the end of a series, only to be left underwhelmed, confused or simply with a mental loop of “Seriously!?!” This is why fan fiction exists.
Fanfics are (obviously) stories written by fans. They can be anything from a quick little blip intended to fix something the author disliked in a specific episode, to an expansive, spiraling story set in a completely different universe that is hundreds of pages long with just the barest nod to the source material. Many fics will also focus on relationships that are not canon (In the actual show). Pairings, referred to as ‘ships’ (‘I ship it’) can be quite varied- literally, pick any characters from a show, go online, you can find fic for it. Many of these are slash pairings; Slash is, simply put, when canon-ly straight characters are written as Gay/Lesbian/Bi. I think this is so widespread because there is a deficiency of well written, multi-dimensional gay/lesbian characters and storylines. It’s gotten better, but many of them simply aren’t written as well as their straight counterparts. I’ll be honest; all my favorite pairings are slash. Frankly, there’s not exactly a lack of well written, complex, straight characters. This way, you get gay characters with interesting personalities, dimensions and complex storylines that go beyond: denial, acceptances, coming out, disappear/make random sassy quip, and die ( or apparently, in lesbian stories: denial, acceptance, come out, disappear/make random snarky quip, end up hooking up with random guy, THEN die). With the exception of Magnus/Alec, all the other pairings I ship exist only in fanfic, but who cares? It makes it more interesting; and I figure, if it’s all fiction anyway, you may as well find the narrative that appeals to you most, right?
Still with me? Great! So, this is a collection of my favorite Fan Fiction Stories that I have acquired over the years (yes, years). Just a quick reminder, I don’t own any of these: this introduction is the most I have written in probably a decade. I just saved, organized and presented them in a way that is easy to navigate. Also, some of them may have scenes that get fairly graphic (you know what I mean;-). As I said, I don’t own these stories so the only editing I do is for spelling or major errors that hinder reading. Most of them should have ratings and, if applicable, warnings at the beginning; these exist for a reason. Fan Fiction is published by the author. This means you get the story exactly how it was intended, without being edited, diluted or censored, with all that that entails. At the top of most of the pages there should be a link in the name of the author where you can see more of their works. If you find something you really like, maybe go check out more from them (Most of them I find on Archiveofourown.org). Okay, I’m gonna level with you, I am weirdly organized when it comes to these stories. Fair warning, most of the sorting is based on my preferences and thought processes (Once again, you’ve met me, you know how confusing that can get) so, just go with it. The Stories are arranged in three different folders; Genre, Groups, and Word Count. Here is a basic rundown:
There Are 17 Different Genres (Which is probably way too many, but, oh well; online there are more tags than I can count) Most are pretty self-explanatory, but some may need a bit of context, so, here goes:
1. First Meetings: These, unsurprisingly, are where the main characters first meet. Many of them will be AU’s.
2. Absolute Favorites: I’d of left this out, however, the way I have them tagged and categorized in my files (like I said, weirdly organized) Genres are numbered and I’d have to change too much to take it out. it’s, umm, a pretty wide variety ( oh, come on, you know how peculiar I am, this is not news).
3. Action & Adventure: Exactly what it says, moving on.
4. Alternate Universe: The characters set up in different locations and with different circumstances; a lot of first meetings, more supernatural things, weird twists, or characters from usually supernatural/scifi type shows set in non-supernatural worlds (lots of coffee shop AU’s, I don’t know why; maybe a lot of fanfic writers work as baristas).
5. Case Fic: stories that have a specific case, problem, or mystery to solve.
6. Coming Out: Exactly what it says: stories were a character comes out as gay, bi, exc. Lots of family drama, lots of emotions, some humor; nothing too depressing, I promise!
7. Family: Stories that are centered around, or have a very strong theme of, familial relationships.
8. Fantasy & Scifi: yeah, you know this one too; also Lots of AU’s.
9. Fluffy!: This is just sweet, romantic, sometimes verging on sappy, fluff.
10. Humor: Stories that (Hopefully) will make you laugh.
11. Kid Fic: Storylines that center around children or young family members; lots of family, fluff and humor.
12. Other: These are stories that get pretty out there. Most of them will be darker, some have rather sinister, twisted parts to them, but I don’t really have any that end in a bad place.
13. Quirky: This is one of my favorite categories; these are stories that are just weird, funny and, well, quirky:-) They go into some pretty bizarre places, but they are definitely entertaining.
14. Series: Obviously, stories that have more than one part. Most of these can be read alone (stories that need to be read together, I usually just save in the same document), although it does add depth if you read all of them.
15. Smile: These are stories that I can’t help but smile when I read. They will either be so sweet and fluffy that you can’t help but smile, or so ridiculous that you can’t help but laugh. Either way, they usually lead to a good mood that will stay around for a while ( at least it does for me)
16. Teen Drama: These stories center on high school kind of plotlines and dramas. This seems to be another popular AU.
17. X-mas: Holiday stories, mostly Christmas. Most of these are sweet, funny, family stories that really seem to put me in a festive mood.
You still with me? Really? Wow, okay, awesome! In addition to being arranged by Genre, the stories are also sorted by Groups. These are assembled solely by on my mindset; So, this may show you more of how my mind works than you want (sorry). I’ll try to keep it rained in as much as possible. There is usually an overall theme tying the group together. I sort them like this rather than simply by individual show mainly for convenience; it’s a lot easier to navigate 5 folders rather than 15. Also, I have far less of some fandoms than others so this way I don’t end up with one folder with 3 stories in it and another with 300. Here are the groups, as well as the most common pairings in the story (that I ship anyways). The Groups, In ascending order are:
5. Last, But Not Least: These don’t really have a theme, they are the ones that wouldn’t fit in with the others, but I like them just as much. Grimm ( Nick/Monroe), Hawaii-5-0 (Steve/Danno), And Primeval(Connor/Becker). Nick Burkheart: is a detective and a Grimm. Basically, Fairytales are real, and usually out to get him. Monroe: Blutbad, kinda like a werewolf, but not, usually gets dragged along to help nick with research/ history/ not getting killed. Steve McGarrett: ex-navy seal, slightly insane, but usually means to do the right thing. Danny Williams(Danno, to Grace and Steve), Detective, Steve’s partner, and a father to a little girl named grace. He is very loud and very tired of Steve’s craziness (except when he’s not). Connor Temple: was a university student, now he chases dinosaurs around modern day London, creates technology and jumps through holes (anomalies) in time (it makes sense in the show); Becker: head of security, trying to keep Connor and the rest of the team from getting killed.
4. Vampires!: You know the theme of this one. Angel (Angel/Wesley), Buffy (Xander/Spike), and Blood Ties(Henry/Mike). Angel: vampire with a soul, trying to do good and make up for his past. Wesley Wyndam-Pryce, watcher, helps Angel research and fight demons and whatever else decides it want to cause problems in L.A. Xander Harris: human sidekick of Vampire slayer, helps fight Vampires, demons and whatever else attacks their town that week. Spike: vampire, was a bad guy, got a chip in his head to make him incapable of hurting humans, now helps them mostly by choice, not necessarily a vampire with a soul, but does seem to have a heart every once in a while, very snarky. Henry Fitzroy: 500year old vampire, son of Henry the 8th, living in Toronto, helping out a private eye protecting the city, also draws graphic novels. Mike Celluci: Detective, Vicky’s (the private eyes) former partner, Works for Toronto PD, helps with the supernatural cases and tries to keep from losing his job or his mind balancing the two.
3. Case Fics And Craziness: These have a lot of case fics ( well, Chuck and CM do, Most of the CSI ones are fluff, also it is the oldest fandom I have, some of these were written in the early 2000’s) CSI ( Greg/Nick), Chuck (Chuck/Casey), and Criminal Minds (Reid/Morgan). Greg Sanders: lab tech in Vegas, very smart, energetic and quirky. Nick Stokes: CSI investigator, pretty serious, strong, Texan. Chuck Bartowski: Nerd that works at the Buymore as tech support, accidentally got a computer program downloaded into his head that makes him a highly skilled spy, until it doesn’t. John Casey: NSA agent, originally ordered to kill chuck, but orders changed, so did he. Spencer Reid: Cute, awkward genius, working with the BAU as a profiler, slightly socially awkward. Derek Morgan: Profiler for the BAU, Strong, personable, good guy but has a traumatic past, very protective of his friends and family.
2. Quirky Cases: These have lots of cases and adventures with a lot of humor and quirky (Starting to think I just really like that word) stuff thrown in for good measure. Psych(Shawn/Lassie), Eureka(Jack/Nathan) and The Librarians(Ezekiel/Jake). Shawn Spencer: Fake psychic detective, in actuality has a photographic memory and extensive training from his cop father. Uses these skills to help the police and solve cases, when he’s not causing chaos. Carlton Lassiter (Lassie):, head detective, SBPD, Very serious, somewhat antisocial. Generally gets fed up with Shawn’s antics, doesn’t believe for a second that he is actually psychic. Jack Carter: Sheriff in a quirky( there it is again) town full of eccentric geniuses and scientists. Former US marshal, has a teenage daughter, Zoey. Likely the least intelligent person in town, but still ends up saving the day every time. Nathan Stark: Head of Global Dynamics(GD), genius scientist, always pushing boundaries to expand knowledge and create the future, which tends to lead to problems that Jack has to fix. Ezekiel Jones: Clever thief, Liberian in training, bit of a trickster, but with a great heart. Jacob Stone: Cowboy from Oklahoma, worked for his father drilling oil. In actuality a genius who has majors in art and history, knows and speaks many languages, published many books and articles under a pseudonym, has a heart of gold.
1. Supernaturally Awesome: (yeah, I know it’s geeky, but it was that or ‘favorites’ and that’s just too boring for these). So, remember how I said I grouped the stories so I don’t end up with one folder with hundreds, yeah, this one kinda got away from me. These are my favorite fandoms, as well as the most popular, so I have a LOT to choose from. Downworlders, Angels, Werewolves, magic and adventure, it’s all in these stories. Also, two of the three have more than one pairings that I have stories for, so that adds even more to this group, but, how can I resist? Teen Wolf (Stiles/Derek), Supernatural(Sam/Gabriel)(Cas/Dean) And ShadowHunters(Magnus/Alec)(Simon/Raphael)(Clary/Isabelle).*** In the background of some Magnus/Alec stories there is Clary/Jace, Isabelle/Simon and Sometimes Simon/Jace( I have a feeling, judging by the last few episodes, this pairing will become more frequent, but it’s not one I really follow… If I wasn’t so attached to Raphael’s character..). Stiles Stilinski: Slightly awkward teen, best friend got turned into a werewolf so he got pulled into the supernatural crossfire. Researches and keeps the werewolves from getting killed or from killing each other. In some stories he is just a normal human, in others he has a ‘spark’ of magic. Derek Hale: Alpha werewolf, family killed by hunters, became Alpha by killing Evil alpha/ his uncle Peter ( doesn’t stay dead though), creates a pack and tries to keep some semblance of order ( it.. it doesn’t usually work, but he tries). Sam Winchester: Hunter, Younger brother of Dean, supposed to be vessel of Lucifer, smart, sweet, kind, Very tall, has a great heart and really does try to do the right thing, never really wanted to be a hunter. Gabriel: archangel also the trickster god Loki, short, loud, and crazy with a sweet tooth. Prankster with a bit of a cruel streak at times, uses pranks to punish people who deserve it. Ran away from heaven and became Loki. Stayed hidden for hundreds of years, now helps Sam, Dean And Cas (Team Free Will). Dean Winchester: Hunter, Sam’s older brother, bit of a prankster, lot’s of angst. Raised to be a hunter, never thought of being anything else, always wants to live up to his father’s expectations of him, supposed to be the vessel of Michael. Castiel: Angel, brother of Gabriel, raised Dean from hell and repaired his soul. Supposed to get the brothers to fulfill their rolls in the apocalypse, chose to go against heaven and help them. Had some dark moments, lost his way, and faith, but comes back to himself, socially awkward (seems to be a reoccurring theme), easily confused by humans/society.
**Shadowhunters has its own section: Yeah, there’s three pairings in this one, so it needs its own. Magnus Bane: High Warlock of Brooklyn; he’s a glittery, bisexual warlock with cat eyes who loves fashion and makeup and is %100 capable of completely destroying anything/one that comes after those he loves (seriously, I think this is my favorite character, ever). Alexander Lightwood: Shadowhunter (nephilim, mix of human and angel) protects humans from demons and other beings that would hurt them. Recently came out as gay (by kissing Magnus at what was supposed to be his arranged wedding). Natural protector, archer, strong and serious, but has a big heart; fiercely protective of his loved ones. Older brother of Isabelle and Max and adopted brother/parabatai ( best friend with a deep connection) of Jace Wayland (Harondale). Magnus/Alec is the only one of my pairings that is canon, so there are a LOT of stories with them. Simon Lewis: Cute, nerdy, slightly awkward and clumsy but very sweet; has a band. Newly turned vampire, Fledgling of the Brooklyn Clan. Raphael Santiago: Newly appointed leader of the Brooklyn Vampire Clan, a natural leader. Strong, Fierce, usually levelheaded, does his best to keep Simon from getting killed (again) or causing too much trouble, he kinda succeeds (well.. he does his best damn-it). Isabelle Lightwood: Shadowhunter; Strong willed, confident, brave, one of the best fighters at the New York Institute. Dangerous and tough, extremely smart, very determined. Fashionable, gorgeous, extremely protective of her family, very supportive of her brothers and friends. Clarissa (Clary) Fray: Shadowhunter, found out on her 18th birthday that all the stories are true, everything ( demons, werewolves, fairies, warlocks and everything else) exists, her mother has lied to her her entire life. Apparently, she is a Shadowhunter, descended from angels and meant to protect humans (mundane) from things that would do them harm. Oh, and her father is a genocidal maniac, and the most evil shadowhunter to have ever existed. Fiery, brave, very artistic and beautiful, she has a good heart, she just wants to protect her family and friends, and find where she fits in the world.
Word count doesn't really need any explanations; they are arranged in 7 folders that range from less than 1,000 words to +30,000 words. Generally, the longer the story, the more I liked it; It is really hard for me to stop reading something I like once I start, so most of them I read in one shot. I'm a pretty fast reader, nevertheless, If I read over 30,000 words pretty much without stopping, it has to be pretty amazing.
Okay, so, I think that’s all the info you need to start; this is just some of my favorites, I have a lot more or you can go on Archiveofourown.org and find fic for, literally, anything you can think of ( once again, ratings, tags, and warnings exist for a reason.) I usually save these as word documents and store them on my phone so I have an entire library handy whenever I’m bored. You can use any app designed to view word documents to store/view them, they have plenty of free ones. The easiest way to transfer them is to download imazing (there’s a free trial version that works fine, it’ll only transfer 50 photos, but it doesn’t limit the number of files/folders you can transfer. This is also why all of them are double spaced and in 16pt font (My eyes aren’t great, but there not THAT bad) in addition, I’ve found that the easiest way to view them in word is with the web layout ( yeah, yeah, I put too much thought into this). Anyways, I’ve talked enough, provided I didn’t scare you off with all my rambling. Have fun; these stories open a whole new world, add depth and variety to characters you already know, make you notice subtext like you never did before, and, the best part? No commercials!